Friday, September 7, 2007

And now an earthquake

A typhoon I can handle, an earthquake I can't, but I did survive a magnitude 6.5 one very early this morning. (See this article)

I was awake, sitting on my bed, and felt the bed start to shake. I honestly thought someone was under my bed so I jumped up and when I was still moving I freaked out a bit, walked out to the living room and everything was moving in there, too. And I could see and feel the building itself swaying. Oh man...No one ever bothered to tell me this is apparently a fairly common occurrence here. Taiwan has fairly regular earthquakes because it's on top of the area where two tectonic plates meet. (Thanks, Mom & Dad, for mentioning that little piece of information...) My friend who lives across town told me it actually woke her up! I'm glad I was awake already or that would have been 100x worse! I guess I better get used to it.

No comments: